I appreciate that writing application essays is very difficult: you will be juggling two topics with a issue, whilst desperately trying to answer the question, as well as evaluating all points and ideas = not easy. I know this. But what might help focus your mind is a few discussion pointers to consider when evaluating and discussing sex ethics. This will help you avoid writing a vague essay that never really delves into anything specific.
- Discuss the different laws and punishments for homosexuality (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-25927595 – I show my students this link showing which countries still have the death penalty and imprisonment for homosexuality)
- Be aware of the changes to civil partnership laws
- Stats relating to Gay Pride, LGBT community
- Changes in this country over the years: introduction of homosexual characters on TV and how this portrayal has impacted people’s perspectives
- Influence of social media i.e celebrities discussing their sexual orientation and responses
Other things I show my students:
- Biblical story of Sodom and Gomorrah – discuss etymology of sodomy (food for thought: when discussing the influences of Biblical teachings on homosexuality be aware that the next story is Lot’s virgin daughters getting their father drunk in order to have sex with him to reproduce.) http://www.thebricktestament.com/genesis/sodom_and_gomorrah/gn19_01.html)
- You Tube: Christina Aguilera’s Beautiful (two men kissing meant that the music video had to be shown after 9.00pm and she was told by music execs to change video), I want to Break Free (Queen) and Rocky Horror Picture Show.
- Explore the different laws on using contraception i.e ages, free birth control
- Explore news paper articles/ reports i.e Obama enabled all American woman access to birth control causing controversy ( see http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-16985757)
- Withdrawal method as a means of contraception: see for Biblical story of Onan http://www.thebricktestament.com/genesis/er_and_onan/gn38_07.html
- Dont forget: Every Sperm is Sacred (watch once and the song will stay with you forever! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUspLVStPbk )
Pre Marital Sex:
- Discuss that there is a difference between pre marital sex and promiscuity.
- Proof of Virginity but considering that two thousand years ago most females married very young (e.g. 12- linked to when they could start a family) so would have remained virgins until then. Leading on to discuss that because some people marry later in life or not at all= is this teaching ‘outdated?’ (Biblical link: http://www.thebricktestament.com/the_law/proof_of_virginity/dt22_13.html)
- Discuss the lengths that some girls go to prove virginity – fear and pressure surrounding this
- Explore the different legal ages for females to have sex: ranging from 12-21 or only in marriage.(http://chartsbin.com/view/hxj)
Extra Martial Sex:
- Discuss polygamy – i.e TV shows: Sister Wives and whether it is extra marital sex if consented to
- Discuss whether being monogamous to one partner is natural or not
- Explore the meaning of marriage ie. if it is to reproduce and one of the couple is infertile is there allowances for extra marital sex?
To view all available teacher and student materials click on: R.S Resources. This digital goods store will allow you to quickly and safely download all materials (for a small charge). These include PowerPoints, lesson packs (with all worksheets and activities) key knowledge test packs (with answers), essay writing skills pack, revision packs and much more. I am always uploading new materials (as and when I cover them with my students) so it is worth checking regularly. These are all the materials I use with my own students, so they are tried and tested and available for you to download, keep and adapt over the years.
If you would like a Revision Pack that contains quizzes, glossaries and past exam questions to help structure your revision, click on the image below:
Any students sitting the A2 exams(Philosophy or Ethics) I could not recommend these workbooks enough! Fantastic revision tool to test your knowledge and to prepare you for your exam.