This is a table showing the must know information to achieve a C grade for AS Philosophy (use as a revision checklist):
Here is a table showing the must know information to achieve a C grade for AS Ethics (use as a revision checklist):
General Writing tips:
- Do not use slang e.g. OK/ Okay or etc.
- You must answer the question in the first paragraph
- Answer the question asked (not what you think is being asked or hoped would be asked!). Use the words in the question and explain what they mean (check out: “What does that mean?” Understanding AS Ethics Questions)
- No short hand!! No SOL or NL
- Always put ‘because’!! According to Kant all life should be protected because…
- If question says ‘compare’ use words like: a similarity, another difference, a further comparison, another link, on the one hand…on the other
But you don’t just want a C grade really do you? Here are my quick pointers to achieve those top marks in a part a)
- Revise a couple of quotes that could be used in multiple answers from a wider reading source e.g. a philosopher not studied (i.e. “By all means let’s be open minded but not so open minded that our brains drop out” Dawkins –who else?!?) If you do use a quote (or Biblical passage – always good) write afterwards what it means in your own words and apply to question: this means/ this shows… (see post: “Oh no I need to revise!” Top Revision Tips for further support)
- Use lots of examples to explain your points: don’t forget to treat the examiner as if they haven’t studied the subject.
- Explain all key (new) words you are using. Avoid cramming them all into one sentence. Take your time and give each new word/ idea its own sentence.
- Everything you write must be relevant to the question. Or make everything you write relevant to the question; otherwise you will not get marks.
If the question asks for a specific person/ argument do not go off-piste and bring in another thinkers (even if they also talk about that theory) as it is not relevant to the question you have been asked!
- Do NOT criticise or put your view across = waste of time.